Who We’ve Helped
NJBLF deeply appreciates the support we’ve received over the past fifteen years. Starting with relatively modest fundraising efforts at the outset, the Foundation now operates with a six-figure annual budget. Over the years, we have given out more than $600,000 in grants from various programs.
The NJBLF grant program consumes the lion’s share of the NJBLF budget. It has provided grants to hundreds of worthy applicants during the past decade. Here are just a few of the people that the NJBLF has helped in recent years:
- A former Marine and City of Paterson Police Officer, who suffered a brain injury, to keep his home.
- A 61-year old woman who had a pending disability case. She suffers from diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, and recently had a stroke. She lives in low income housing. The neighbor above her had a fire in her apartment and that wiped out the woman’s bedroom, bath, etc. Legal Services helped with clothing and some items, but the Board of Social Services denied her application to replace her bed and bedding.
- A 50-year old woman with stage three breast cancer diagnosis, coupled with a whole variety of other problems. She needed help with a deposit for an apartment.
- A veteran, suffering from recurring episodes of PTSD connected with his service in Vietnam, deal with an overpayment by Social Services which was not his fault.
- A grandmother who is a sole caretaker for 5 grandchildren and who is struggling to make ends meet came up short and needed help with rent.